Dentures are used when a person is missing all or most of their natural teeth. This could be the result of an injury or declining oral health. Dentures are a great way to still enjoy the benefits that come with health and natural teeth like chewing with ease. They are easy to use and offer a fast and effective solution to overcoming severe tooth loss.
Dentures are prosthetic teeth secured to a gum-colored base. They can be secured with or without dental implants and can be partial or full depending on how many teeth are lost. It’s best to visit with us to discuss all the available options and determine the best solution for your needs.
Questions and Answers
How do I clean dentures?
Traditional removable dentures require proper care to keep them clean, free from stains and looking great. Below are some cleaning steps and things to avoid when using traditional removable dentures:
- Remove and rinse dentures after eating by running water over them to remove food debris and loose particles.
- Handle them carefully and don’t bend or damage the plastic or clasps when cleaning
- Clean your mouth after removing dentures with a soft-bristled toothbrush
- Brush your dentures once a day and soak them in nonabrasive denture cleanser to remove food, plaque and other deposits
- Soak dentures overnight in a mild denture-soaking solution to keep them moist and so they hold their shape.
- Schedule regular dental checkups so your dentist can ensure proper fit, prevent slippage and discomfort and check the inside of your mouth to ensure it stays healthy.
- Likewise, avoid abrasive cleaning materials, whitening toothpastes, and products containing bleach on your dentures, and hot or boiling water that could warp them.
What are the different types of dentures?
There are three types of dentures available for partial or full mouth solutions. Traditional dentures that can be easily removed and cleaned on a daily basis, implant overdentures that are secured by the implant but can still be removed, and those that are “fixed”, also known as fixed dentures. Fixed dentures are permanently secured to dental implants. Once installed, they cannot be removed unless oral surgery is provided.
Traditional are non-surgical denture options. These dentures grip around the dental arch and remaining jawbone and rely on suction to remain securely in place. Both traditional and implant overdentures are removable and overdentures are the most commonly used type of implant denture used by dentists today.
What is the best denture adhesive or denture glue?
The Oral Health Foundation developed guidelines to guide dental health care professionals and patients on the use of denture adhesive creams. These guidelines are listed below:
- Patient satisfaction has become a decisive factor for the overall success of prosthodontic treatment in full-denture wearers.
- Denture adhesives can enhance the retention of, and reduce food accumulation beneath, well-fitting complete dentures.
- Denture adhesives can be beneficial to the patient. They may enhance comfort, provide psychological satisfaction, increase confidence and thus wellbeing, while increasing retention and stability, and improving function.
- The effectiveness of denture adhesives cannot compensate for significant denture deficiencies.
- Dental professionals should provide guidance and instructions to the patient on the correct application and use of the adhesive, and on removing it and cleaning the denture.
- The optimum time to advise on the use of an adhesive varies between patients. For well-fitting dentures it might occur at a review appointment, or for patients finding problems with compliance at the time of fitting or soon after.
If you have more questions about dentures at Humlicek Family Dental, please contact our office and we will be happy to discuss further.
We are prepared for all types of treatment options. We are set up for crowns, fillings, implants, root canals, extractions, dentures, and more. Whatever your restoring needs are for your teeth, we are here to get you back to optimum oral health.
Healthy Smiles Family Dentistry offers cosmetic dentistry options that will leave you with a beautiful smile that you will be proud of and show off. We do whitening, veneers, and Invisalign to help you get that smile just the way you want it.
We understand that emergencies happen at the most inconvenient times and are often not very comfortable either. We work hard to get you in as soon as possible. Whether it’s a tooth ache or broken tooth, we want to get you out of pain or fixed up in a hurry. Call us with any emergency and we will work hard to get you in to see the doctor as soon as possible.
Mon - Thurs: 8am - 5pm
Fri: 8am - 12pm
Sat - Sun: Closed